Best Nail Fungus Treatment Options
Get Informed: Find what is most effective for Yellow Nails
Brown or yellow nail fungal infection also known as onychomycosis or tinea unguium is a very hard to cure problem. Because the fungus thrives in the nail plate, nail bed, edges and root of the nail it is impossible to get rid of without effective medical intervention. Furthermore, in the absence of early diagnosis and treatment, one runs the risk of transmitting the infection to other healthy finger or toe nails and cause permanent damage.
Nail fungus symptoms are obvious but can be confirmed by taking a scraping and having a lab test done.
There are many nail fungus treatment products available in the market, but it can be quite difficult determining which option would just not mask symptoms. All of the prescription medications and over the counter preparations claim to use maximum strength formulas, but how can you know what will really help you cure it once and for all?
To help you avoid frustrating trial and error attempts that most suffers go through, experts have posted there experiences after thoroughly researching the market and picked the most popular and top rated solutions. These remedies help treat crumbly, discolored, brittle nails effectively and prevent complications in both male and female sufferers.
To find the best options available experts follow this method:
Expert Investigation: Panel of experts carefully analyzes each therapy and then ranks it based on the following six-point criteria:
|1. Level of Effectiveness||4. Side Effects|
|2. Quality of Ingredients||5. Time Taken To See Results|
|3. Reputation of the Manufacturer||6. Value for Money|
So which therapy scored the highest?
Below you will find top recommendation along with other options that did not worked to provide above average results.
- Type: Topical
- Success Rate: Excellent
- Safety: No Side Effects
- Overall Value: 5 Stars
- Full Money Back Guarantee: 60 Days
Rated the #1 treatment for fingernail and toenail fungus for 3 years straight it has antiseptic, antibacterial and anti fungal qualities. Funginix’s powerful formula comprising undecylenic acid is clinically proven to remove foul odor and produce visible results fast. This potent blend of vital FDA approved ingredients work in combination to clear up mild to severely infected cases. Unlike other solutions, the ingredients in Funginix are quickly absorbed and penetrate deep into the nail bed to kill underlying nail fungi from all sides.
How fast are the results?
Funginix produces significant results in the least amount of time possible without the use of synthetic ingredients that cause side effects. In our research Funginix outperformed all anti-fungal products currently available. Not only does this herbal medication clear away dull, thickened and discolored nails (black, yellow or green), it also strengthens your body’s own natural defenses by boosting immune system to prevent inflammation and infection from returning.
Clear nails become visible depending on the stage of infection. People with mild infestations like tiny spots start to see improvement within 4-5 weeks. Regardless of how fast you see results, the infection can come back. To prevent that from happening, we recommend that the six month program be undertaken with patience and dedication.
What about less than 100% results?
More often then not treatment failure or poor outcome is the result of skipping applications. Missed applications provides nail fungus the opportunity to develop resistance to the treatment. The convenient drop applicator that comes with Funginix can be taken where ever you go, making it easy to stick to the dosage schedule.
Good hygiene is also essential. Prolonged exposure to warm moist environment inside dark sweaty socks and unventilated footwear provides perfect hot humid conditions for microscopic bacteria and germs (dermatophytes) to live.
Wear sandals or open toe footwear to prevent injury and re-entry of germs into cuticle. Don’t give up treatment up until the new nail replace the old embarrassing nail, this could take 6 months.
Click Here to Visit Funginix Website
- Type: Topical Solution
- Success Rate: Very High
- Safety: No known Side Effects
- Overall Rating: 4 Stars
- Money Back Guarantee: 2 Months
EmoniNail is often recommended by consumers and professionals alike. EmoniNail is a relatively new nonprescription formulation developed in Oct 2016. It is the latest remedy designed to effectively attack the root of the problem and help the body repair and restore damage caused to the nail and surrounding skin.
EmoniNail is a topical solution that must be applied twice daily on the affected nail. With its new approach, EmoniNail improves blood circulation and attacks fungi from the inside out which makes it extremely effective in getting rid of nail fungus.
In our research of user reviews we found it to be a well-tolerated preparation. Reported satisfaction and efficacy levels with EmoniNail are very encouraging compared to most of the other options currently available. It has often been recognized to treat toenail fungus quickly and naturally without using any synthetic medications. Being an medically proven ingredient based topical solution, EmoniNail does not cause any side effects like digestion issues and it is safe for almost all ages to use barring children and pregnant women.
How fast do results show up?
Although EmoniNail is very good at killing toenail fungus, past user exposure shows that results don’t show up as fast if one has severe condition, with mild to moderate symptoms it is as good as Funginix.
It doesn’t matter if you have mild, moderate or severe forms of infection. A 6-month treatment routine is recommended to facilitate complete re-growth of fungus-free shiny nails and to avoid incurring the infection again.
Visit Official EmoniNail website for Genuine Bottles
#3 Nail Rx
Nail-Rx is another choice for all-natural nail fungus treatment. The overall feedback we’ve heard about this product has been very favorable. Nail-Rx received especially high marks in both effectiveness and low cost, two areas we think are important when it comes to using these types of products.
Nail-Rx is is from Native Remedies. Native Remedies have been producing natural, herbal and homeopathic solutions for many years and are a trusted supplier within many industries, not just the antifungal.
Nail-Rx is a 100% natural compound that is safe and free from side effects. This herbal product uses a wonderful combination of all natural, anti-fungal extracts such as Tea Tree Oil, Lavender and Lemon Grass to not only kill bacteria and the organisms that create it but also to reduce inflammation and promote healthy cell regeneration.
Participants reported a very pleasant and effective experience when using Nail Rx and many appreciated the fact that the product is 100% organic. There was great regrowth of strong and healthy nails within 3 weeks of use. Nail Rx is a very effective product and also is a terrific value for the purchase price.
Unlike many pharmaceutically produced nail fungus medication Nail-Rx is not taken orally, so this will not interfere with other medication that may be taken, very similar to the way Penlac Nail Lacquer is applied.
So, in our review of top products used for herbal nail fungus treatment, Nail-Rx places near the top. An effective formulation coupled with great customer service and a strong guarantee make this product one to try.
#4 Toenail Therapy
Toenail Therapy is our third choice for all-natural nail fungus treatment. MedPure, manufacturer of toenail therapy, has created a 2 part treatment kit designed to kill fungus and bacteria and restore strength to the affected nail. The most active ingredient is Miconazole which is touted as a terrific anti-fungal element.
The problem customers reported with the MedPure product was that nails were rarely entirely free from fungus and that nails never regained the hardness from before being attacked by the fungus. It is very difficult to repair finger or toe nails already afflicted with fungus which is why most products grow a new nail in the place of the old affected nail. A decent nail fungus removal product but the regeneration of hard, healthy nails was not the strength of Toenail Therapy.
MedPure, manufacturer of toenail therapy, is based in Utah and has a very clear email address, mailing address and direct telephone line posted in the Contact Us section of the website. Most calls were received by an answering service but were returned in a timely fashion. General customer service questions are directed through the email address. They offer a solid 60-day, money back guarantee of all MedPure products and appeared to be very true to the policy.
#5 Prescription Strategies
After examining and identifying the abnormalities your doctors will often prescribe medication, particularly if it’s a severe case. Prescription nail fungus treatment solutions can be more effective but due to obstinate nature of this disease one needs to take prescription tablets for weeks to months. Here are some your dermatologist or podiatrist may recommend that you use:
- Clotrimazole: Known primarily by the brand name Lotrimin, clotrimazole is an antifungal medicine prescribed to eliminate various fungal infections including ringworm, candida yeast infection, and athlete’s foot. Clotrimazole stops the growth of fungus by breaking and dissolving the cell walls of the organisms. While effective, this drug might cause unpleasant side effects such as itching, redness, swelling, hives, and blistering in some people.
- Terbinafine: This is the generic name for Lamisil, which is a well-known over-the-counter nail fungus medication. It comes in a variety of forms including as a cream, lotion and tablets. In regular treatment, 250 mg dosage is usually taken once a day for 90 days. In treatment with breaks, the medication can be taken as follows:
2 * 500 mg terbinafine daily for a week, then 21 day break
Or: 1 * 250 mg terbinafine daily for 28 days, then a 28 day break
With this approach treatment takes three to four months.
This is another effective tinea remedy, but like clotrimazole, there are side effects which include gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea and nausea, headaches, fatigue, irregular rashes, and hives. It typically requires blood samples to be sent to the laboratory for regular liver function tests.
- Itraconazole: This is a broad spectrum antifungal medicine that is approved to eliminate harmful bugs in addition to other similar infections in the lungs and throat. It’s known by several brand names including Onmel and Sporanox. In oral continuous treatment regime, itraconazole is to be taken once daily for a maximum of 90 days or three months. The dosage is two 100 mg tablets per day. In treatment with breaks in between, 400 mg of itraconazole is given daily for a week (200 mg tablets in the morning and 200 mg in the evening). Followed by a 21 day break. This treatment could last three months. Common side effects associated with this drug includes diarrhea, mild itching, joint pain, headache, and cold-like symptoms. Ciclopirox (Penlac), ketoconazole (Nizoral), oxiconazole are some other medicinal approaches.
While pharmaceutical drugs can get rid of the disease, they can have unwanted side effects as noted above in people with some comorbidities. These are also contraindicated for pregnant or nursing women, adults and children with suppressed immunity. Some of these meds can interact or interfere with the effectiveness of other drugs like for Diabetes, Cellulitis, Psoriasis, Cancer and AIDS. Additionally they do nothing to prevent the fungal infection from reoccurring. If you choose to use these, it’s important to consult with a physician before and during treatment.
While on drugs avoiding alcohol intake and staying out of the sun is advised.
There are also prescription topical treatments available which have approximately 35% cure rate. These too require a daily regimen to followed religiously. Some of options include efinaconazole (Jublia), tavaborole (Kerydin) and ciclopirox (Penlac)
#6 Surgical and Laser Procedures
You may need surgery if your suffer from unbearable pain or ingrown nails, or in instances where the problem is not manageable and is not responding to any type of therapy:
- Surgical excision. Your doctor may use special instruments to scrape nail surface and remove the decaying nail under which fungi survive. You’ll need local anesthesia for this procedure to reduce pain. Later the exposed tissue would be covered with medicated bandage to stop blood flow from where the nail has separated.
- Lasers.This approach, which uses an intense beam of light is usually reserved for very extensive and tough-to-treat infection. With this procedure a laser beam is directed at the patient’s infected toenail bypassing the nail surface to kill the organisms underneath. It does offer satisfactory success rate but is not widely used due to cost and in absence of long-term successes data. Laser treatment is expensive because the treatment is fairly new and laser equipment is costly. The average cost of the procedure is $1,000 but the actual cost will depend on your doctor, number of sessions needed and your location.
#7 Alternative Regimens
If you don’t want to deal with the side effects of pharmaceutical drugs or the expense and risk of surgery, you may want to try these alternative options.
- Nail Polish/Paint: This is an unusual treatment for fungal infections of the nails. Lots of sufferers first try to treat nail fungus with a odorless and colorless nail polish or paint. Before applying any nail paint or polish the affected fungal nails should be cut and filed down as thin as possible. However, it is believed that the polish will trap and suffocate the fungus, eventually killing it. Use only small amounts of clear polish and apply one coat every day for five days on clean and dry nails, remove, and start the process over until the infection goes away. That said, scientific literature specifically states to not use it as there is evidence of worsening of deformed nails.
- Vicks VapoRub: This simple and cheap formulation is typically used to alleviate cold symptoms. However, it contains thymol which has antiseptic, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties. To use, trim the nail completely and rub Vicks into and around the nail bed. Continue until signs of healthy nail layers begin to appear.
- Bleach: Bleach is a cheap and common household item. Although clinically unproven bleach is an alternative treatment that has some anecdotal evidence. Bleach foot soak or its direct application with Q-tip are said to help with nail fungus but regular use causes adverse reactions which include skin cracking and irritation.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide is a mild antiseptic used to prevent infections. Medical evidence is lacking but some sufferers use it for treating nail fungus. Hydrogen peroxide works by releasing oxygen when it is applied to the affected area. The release of oxygen causes foaming, which is expected to remove dead nail debris and inhibit nail fungus. Its is applied in a small amount on the affected area, usually 1 to 3 times daily. Users should be aware that it should never be used on large areas of skin and to treat wounds that go deep into the nail bed.
Contrary to common belief alternative remedies may not be safer to use and gentler on the body than pharmaceutical drugs. Some of these can be a hassle to use and there are dangers lurking. Based on very scant positive anecdotal evidence it takes a long time to see any visually pleasing results and that too generally don’t last long. If you are looking for an easy way to get rid of the infection fast, you may want to consider the better options detailed above.
Self-Care Tips to Compliment Any Treatment plan:
The following points will also help you avoid the causes.
- Make minor lifestyle changes like washing your hands, feet and skin between the toes daily with soap water in the morning and at bed time.
- Use disinfected scissors, nail clippers and filers and don’t share it with anyone if you have a family history.
- Sprinkle anti-fungal spray or powder inside your old shoes as they may harbor spores or mold. Keeping them in sunlight occasionally is also suggested.
- Don’t wear non breathable shoes, socks and hosiery. Fabrics made of wool, cotton, nylon and polypropylene are good at absorbing excess moisture.
- Don’t wear shoes that puts pressure on your nails.
- Manicure or pedicure at nail salons must be done with sterilized tools as they can be contaminated. Dead debris or bits should be removed after softening the nails with alcohol, urea ointment or soaking in water and let them dry out for few minutes.
- Avoid walking barefoot in public places like gyms, shower rooms and swimming pools.
- Cut short and thin down the nails from top, sides and front for topical lacquers to reach entire nail matrix.
- Wear rubber gloves for wet jobs like dish washing, cooking or house cleaning.
- You can benefit from any extra vitamins and mineral though no need to buy expensive ones.
- Don’t wear heels as it stresses nerve supply to the feet.